This bomb Tomato Salad is a foolproof dish. And despite its simplicity, in my opinion it’s one of the most delicious things on the face of this planet! You just can’t go wrong with a combination of vine-ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, crunchy cucumbers, caramelized onions, and cheese. The key is to use the freshest local ingredients that you can find, and to treat them with respect.
- 3 parts ripe Tomatoes, cut into large bite-size chunks
- 1 part Cucumber, slice into half-moons
- 1 part Cipolline al Balsamico*, leave whole or cut into halves if large
- Fresh Basil, chiffonade
- Generous splash of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Generous drizzles of Balsamic Glaze from Cipolline al Balsamico
- Salt n Pepper
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
- Combine all ingredients, toss GENTLY with FINGERS.
- (Optional) Top individual serving plate with several small nuggets of room-temperature goat cheese. This will add a certain degree of creaminess to the dish. But do NOT mix in with salad!
I had some Cipolline al Balsamico on hand, so I’m using it in this recipe. But alternatively, feel free to roast some regular onions in an oven (400F) with a generous amount of olive oil, a little salt and pepper, and then a GOOD balsamic vinegar in the dressing. Warning: it’s not easy to find a good balsamic vinegar in a regular supermarket. You might have to go to a specialty store for that. But hey, enjoy the trip! I find something novel and interesting almost every time when I’m in a specialty gourmet shop.
* The recipe for this can be found in my blog!