Miss summer? Here is a simple Watermelon Salad that’ll bring back a taste summer. But only for a second because that’s how long it’ll take you to munch it down!
It’s amazing how simple ingredients can be transformed into something extraordinary by a little culinary alchemy. Experiment with flavors and remember, simple is often best.
- Ripe Watermelon, cubed
- Fresh Basil*, chiffonade (finely sliced)
- Key Lime (or regular lime) Zest, enough that you smell it**
- Key Lime (or regular lime) Juice, just a touch
- One of your best EVOOs (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Salt, just a touch (not to make it salty but to enhance the natural flavors of things)
- Black Pepper, freshly and coarsely ground (this is important!), enough that you smell it**
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- GENTLY toss to dress up the watermelon. If you must, use your fingers but not a metal spoon.
* Mint is a good substitute for this. And feel free to try other herbs that are fragrant, summery, clean, and crisp in flavor. I’ve never tried it but off the top of my head, some workable candidates include cilantro, arugula, sorrel, chervil, and dill. So in other words: have fun!
** Trust your senses. If it looks good, smells good, then it probably tastes good.